Tuesday, December 8, 2015

freewriting

 In 2010, I had my first experience with a broken bone. I was twelve years old and had just finished vacation bible school at our church in Springfield. We had a big carnival and games and inflatable slides. One of the slide had a maze that you had to work through and a slide at the end. All the same time you were racing somebody in an identical maze right beside you. At the end of the maze I jumped and landed about halfway down the slide. When I did, my arm happened to be under me and it broke the humorous bone right at the elbow. The broken bone also slide up my forearm, ending up with my elbow in the tricept area of my arm. Of course I started freaking out and going into shock. We hurried up and jumped in the truck and headed to the hospital. The road seemed very rough on the way there. When we got there, they took some x-rays and decided that they needed to do surgery right away. Before I knew it I was awake with a big cast on my arm and a dizzy feeling from anesthesia. Over the next few weeks we had checkups with the doctor, cast changes, and x-rays. Then one checkup, the doctor said it was time to pull the pins out that were in place to hold the bone together. They were only sticking out about half of an inch, but went in a long ways through my bone. This part hurt the worst. They laid me down on a table and used locking pliers to slowly twist and pull the pins out from my bone. It was some bad pain, but only lasted a few moments. The doctor did a great job, and after some therapy, I was able to have full range of motion and a 100% recovery from the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment